Tristhefall’s Blog

Just another weblog

Vietnam Are Champions After Triumph Over Thailand

with one comment

Vietnam Are Champions After Triumph Over Thailand

Le Cong Vinh nodded in a dramatic stoppage-time equaliser as Vietnam were crowned Asean champions for the first time after clinching an aggregate victory over three-time winners Thailand in the AFF Suzuki Cup final in Hanoi.

The Vietnamese held the advantage after a stunning 2-1 win in the first leg in Bangkok, but Teerasil Dangda drew the sides level overall with a 21st-minute header.

But with the match looking destined for extra-time, Cong Vinh met Nguyen Minh Phuong’s free-kick with a header that looped over goalkeeper Kosin Hathairattanakool to spark wild celebrations from the capacity crowd at My Dinh National Stadium.

Both teams struggled to find their footing on the greasy, rain-soaked pitch early on and there were no real efforts on goal until the 11th minute when Cong Vinh’s cut-back from the left by-line found Doan Viet Cuong who blasted over from the edge of the Thai box.

The home side appeared happy to sit back and defend their first-leg advantage but found their first-leg lead wiped out when Vu Nhu Thanh failed to track the run of Teerasil, who charged into the box to head a Sutee Suksomkit free-kick from the right past Duong Hong Son.

The home side were stunned and were unable to muster a response until the 32nd minute when Cong Vinh received the ball on the left flank and cut in before curling an effort just wide of the far post. Vietnam’s best chance of the half arrived in stoppage time when skipper Phan Van Tai Em scooped the ball into the box for Huynh Quang Thanh, who escaped his marked but fired wide from six metres out.

The hosts began to exert greater control at the start of the second half but the Thais went close to taking the aggregate lead on the hour when a quick break produced an opening for Natthapong Samana, whose low shot from 25 metres was turned around the post by Hong Son.

Le Tan Tai went close for Vietnam in the 66th minute with a shot from the left edge of box that was deflected narrowly wide of the far post and, a minute later, Cong Vinh snuck between two defenders to reach a deep cross from the left but put his volley just wide.

The Vietnamese appeared to tire in the closing minutes and were fortunate not to concede again as Teerasil just failed to reach a corner by Arthit Sunthornphit and Ronnachai Rangsiyo saw his header cleared off the line by a defender.

The teams looked set to battle for another 30 minutes but deep into stoppage time, Cong Vinh won a free-kick on the left flank after being tripped by Suree Sukha.

The Vietnam striker then stole a march on his marker to cleverly flick Minh Phuong’s free-kick up and over the head of Kosin and into the far corner of the net with the last action of the match.


Written by tristhefall

December 29, 2008 at 12:00 pm

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Tuan phai noi nguon tu dau chu 😛


    December 28, 2008 at 6:24 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: